Old 17-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

In article ,
"shazzbat" writes:

| DUMPING grass in a field led to a man getting a criminal record and a
| £600 bill.
|
| Brian Angel, of Woodland Drive, Kettering, pleaded guilty to
| fly-tipping on land off the A428 near Turvey on April 18, 2003. Mr
| Angel was accused of emptying a wheely bin full of grass and hedge
| cuttings on to land at Moat Farm.
|
| He said: "Mr Angel was travelling with his two sons to his
| sisters in Marston Moretaine to deliver Easter eggs. He pulled into a
| lay by on the A428 so that his two-year-old son could go to the
| lavatory. There is no suggestion that the act was premeditated."
|
| So let me get this straight. This guy was driving to his sisters with his
| two sons in the car to deliver Easter eggs and just happened to have a
| wheely bin full of green waste in the car?
|
| *A WHEELY BIN* ?
|
| And the magistrates swallowed this?
|
| Have I slipped into a parallel universe or something?

Well, yes, the world flipped its lid some time ago :-)

That was the defence bullshitting, and I doubt that the magistrates
bought it for a second.

But the other point made by the defence is a good one. Dumping
such material onto farmland is the least important form of fly
tipping - certainly less serious than throwing a plastic container
out of a car window. It becomes serious only when done on an
industrial scale.

The ideal penalty for that offender would have assigned him to
collecting non-degradable rubbish from that farm and others, say
10 wheelie-bins full.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.