Old 17-02-2004, 05:02 PM
madgardener

Default spring fever

"B & J" wrote in message
I received my seed order from Park last Friday and spent part of the

weekend
planting seeds from a variety of peppers, ornamental, hot hungarians, and
bell along with aqilegia (oragami mix and music harmony). One packet of
columbines had 10 seeds in it and the other 15. Ordinarily, I would plant
the seeds directly in the ground, but I figured seeds that cost .20 - .30
each deserved a little TLC.

I would agree with you there, John. But the blessings of seeds from those
plants this late spring will reward you with many more of them. That reminds
me, I should check Thompson & Morgan of some Columbine seeds.

I also planted some datura (Ballerina Purple)
in packs and sank the packs into the ground outside. This is the third

year
for trying to make them grow and the last if these don't grown. I have the
ordinary white variety reseeding all over the flower bed, but these refuse
to sprout. I'm not quite sure if it's me or the seeds, but a friend
ordinarily offers me a plant or two that she's started, so it has to be

me.
Maybe this method will work.

I would suspect you're planting the datura a little early wouldn't you?
Maybe Victoria has a hardier variety she would share with you a seedling or
two......g

Do I have to ask Barb to assist in your "sticky pot" addiction, Mad. She
does a good job on me. G

no, the bad news is out and official.........our Lowes is going to carry
those overpriced Miracle Gro varieties of perennials this year that
means if I want Stacy's perennials I will have to check out the Home Depot
down the road........I was SOOO hoping I wouldn't have this problem. And I
was looking forward to kicking butt on plant sales this year but we aren't
even going to be allowed to reduce these plants when they're past their
prime. I'll still work there, but sad to say my local purchases will be
from the orange box......

John