Old 17-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

The message

/snip/

| *A WHEELY BIN* ?
|
| And the magistrates swallowed this?
|
| Have I slipped into a parallel universe or something?

Well, yes, the world flipped its lid some time ago :-)

That was the defence bullshitting, and I doubt that the magistrates
bought it for a second.

But the other point made by the defence is a good one. Dumping
such material onto farmland is the least important form of fly
tipping - certainly less serious than throwing a plastic container
out of a car window. It becomes serious only when done on an
industrial scale.

The ideal penalty for that offender would have assigned him to
collecting non-degradable rubbish from that farm and others, say
10 wheelie-bins full.

I concur. I would have saved him the fine and accepted the contents on
my compost heap if they were as advertised.

But I do agree that the presence of the wheelie bin pointed to intent,
which is a much more serious matter than impulse.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/