Old 19-02-2004, 01:28 AM
Kay Olson

Default Bare Root Roses

I have 20 to 30 roses that need pruning . Do you have any suggestions for
doing this in San Diego.
"tmtresh" wrote in message
I just bought a few bare root roses from Home Depot. I got a great deal at
$2 each. I wasn't thinking very clearly because later I realized--- it's
February and cold outside. So, I got to thinking about my options.

1. I could leave them in the garage where it's cold until it warms up a

bit.
(they are dormant, no buds breaking out.)

2. I could pot them in 1 gallon pots (or I even have a few 5 gallon

buckets
around). But- do I water them? Should they be inside under a light? Should

leave them in my cold garage?

3. I could plant them outside. The ground isn't frozen (I don't think) and
they could come out of dormancy more naturally. I worry about this option
mainly because they don't have much of a root system and I would hate to
kill them outright. I'm in Idaho zone 6.

So, what do you think? In retrospect, it was a pretty dumb thing to do, I
should have waited until spring and bought some real plants. What should I
do to make the best of this?