Old 19-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Ciment Fondu

In a message dated 2/19/2004 12:22:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

Hi Kevin. You graciously write,
Don't forget to add the magic ingredient - a
proportion of Ordinary Cement, or the rapid
set is not achieved

When my bonsai club created a ciment fondue slabs, they set for at least 24
hours. We might well have used Portland cement-- I would guess that we did.
Is there advantage to rapid-setting other than being "rapid?" Perhaps 24
hour setting is rapid though it would seem painfully slow
for curing our
thin pours.

LaFarge Ciment Fondue should be allowed to slowly cure to avoid cracking and thereby ensure the slab's ability to endure extreme heat and cold. I recommend spraying the slab during the first day of curing.

My personal opinion is that the design of the slab should be the primary concern and not the speed with which the mixture dries. Creating a credible, non-molded slab is a difficult thing to pull off.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++