Old 20-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Welsh Witch

Default Can anyone tell me where I can purchase on line??

"Janet Baraclough .." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "Welsh Witch" contains these words:

I would like to buy some gorse bushes to go into the hedge. Can't find

any
UK supplier on Google?? Help please..Thankyou

Have you tried Buckingham nurseries?

Not many stock gorse because it only survives a few hours when dug up,
so it's no good for "bare root " sales. I've only seen it sold container
grown, but even then the tap root limits its viability.

When I was planting mixed hedge boundaries, fast-growing volunteer
gorse seedlings would often appear along the row where the soil had been
disturbed.I used to leave them in place to shelter and protect the
growing hedge. By the time the hedge reached waist-height, invariably
the gorse would become straggly and weak and die of its own accord. IMHO
it's unsuitable for a thick mixed hedge because those very narrow leaves
require full light to survive, and it can't compete against
larger-leafed plants.

Gorse on its own, can make a very attractive clipped hedge. The easiest
way to get plants is to very gently lift some young wild seedlings at
the stage where they are a single stem about 6" or 9" high; gently wrap
their tap root in wet paper, soak in water and plant in unfertilised
soil as soon as you get home.

Janet

Thankyou...There is quite a lot of wild gorse on the A5 in this area, but I
was a bit doubtful even in the midst of the night. I have tried
transplanting it before with the results you predicted. At present I have a
barrier betweeen us and next door's sheep of rose paulii and such like but
still have gaps. Thanks again