Old 24-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Rhynchostylis gigantea

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:39:41 -0500, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

Bob: If the size difference on the leaves is consistent from side-to-side,
and you aren't moving the plant around, then one side of it [the one with
longer leaves] is not getting enough light. I shudder to suggest this,
because it is not usually a good idea for most folks and most plants, but if
this behavior has been consistent over a 2-3 year time period, you might
think about rotating the plant's orientation every couple of months.

Kenni -
I have had a Rhy gigantea that was lop sided. It came that way
and one side just grew a bit stronger than the other every place
I put it.

TU -
They also want a softer light than most of us consider a "vanda
style" plant should. I pushed one too far. So my two new ones
are growing back further in the pack. and don't get the west
exposure of the window wall. I don't believe I have had one
bloom at 8" across. I am sure the smallest we have bloomed is
closer to 12." They are slow growers and will stay very close to
the same size for several years. So once you get it to bloom it
should not out grow that space for about 4 years.

Good luck
SuE