Old 25-02-2004, 05:17 PM
shazzbat

Default grubs

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article G_p_b.18404$ft.4933@newsfe1-win, Jan writes
"Sarah" wrote in message
. ..
hello
what are the the white grubs i keep turning up on my allotment (well -

two
so far). They are about 1.5cm and have a brown head.
Are they goodies (like hoverflies) or badies?
sarah a

They're really, really bad baddies! Vine weevil. Stomp on them or feed
them to the birds. These grubs will eat the roots of your plant and you
won't know it until the plant keels over and dies. The adults come out

at
night and chomp on the edges of foliage, particularly fond of

strawberries,
rhododendron, pieris.

That's big for a vine weevil. But there are other white grubs -
chafer??? - also baddies. Have they any legs?

I also thought it was a bit on the big side for a vine weevil. I found some
this week in the containers I was clearing and would say they were no longer
than 6mm-ish. But anyway, if in doubt I feed them to the robins. The robins
have done well this last week. I have an old tray underneath the robins`
favourite perch, and just put bugs in it. The robins are learning that me
going there might mean food and turn up fairly quickly nowadays.

Steve