Old 25-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Unique Too

Default building raised beds on sloping lawn?

JIm,
Although it wasn't for raised beds we put in a wall of sorts on sloping
ground. The first one we started at the lowest point and worked our way up.
And you're right, each piece of lumber had to be cut a different length and the
cut end dug into the ground a few inches.
The second wall we started at the finished height and worked our way down from
there. It seemed we had less digging to do and it was easier to keep it level.
We attached the free end of the wood to a post to keep it level from the top.
I'm not sure how that would work with 6 X 6 lumber. Oh another thing, we used
the soil we dug out to fill little gaps in the wall in a couple of locations
where we didn't get it dug in far enough. It held up fine and was much easier
than pulling it out and digging away more soil.

Has anyone built raised planters on lawn that is not level? I want to build
a raised bed on the side of my house, but the ground slopes down along the
length of the house.

I am pretty sure I want to use some 6x6 pressure treated wood to make the
beds. But one end needs to be built up to be level with the other end.

Has anyone done this, and got suggestions? I'm thinking this is going to
involve some digging to partially bury the front timbers?

Any help appreciated.