Old 26-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Cerumen

Default french beans

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article P3b%b.1028$6l4.190@newsfe1-win, hillier
writes
Last year I had a glut of french beans and put a load in the freezer

which
hasn't been a success. Hoping to get as many this year if I can find a

good
way of freezing them, any sugestions please.

We freeze a lot of french and runner beans each year. We pick the pods
while they are very young and tender and we freeze them immediately
after picking. We don't blanch them, but we do slice them, then we pack
them flat into freezer bags. That way they are neither stringy, tough
nor mushy when we use them, and it gives us 12 months supply of our own
organic grown beans any time we want them.

Very similar here except I do generally blanch but it is very important to
blanch correctly otherwise it just ruins them, just enough beans into
boiling water so that they get back up to the boil in a minute or a bit
less and let boil for 30 seconds then out and into cold water, (running
water if possible) and pack as above. For cooking when blanched thus it is
for my taste anyway enough just to drop the frozen beans into boiling
water and they are cooked when they get back up to the boil.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork