Old 28-02-2004, 12:21 AM
Sacha

Default grubs

Sue da Nimm27/2/04 4:59
snip

We've got three pairs sharing our plot which is about 320ft long by 120ft
wide, with a hedge border and a copse beyond.
They have clearly defined territories, with one pair regularly coming to the
kitchen windowsill for tidbits.
The male in the "copse-end" pair is very distinctive because he is mottled
white. (Melanistic?)
We have seen three together on occasions - probably offspring rather than
pairs mingling.

We have several in different parts of the Nursery and garden - you can see
them together but apart, as it were. But the blackbirds! They're as bad or
worse than robins. One gets inside a glasshouse and one is outside and they
go at each other hammer and tongs against the glass. The other day, I saw
two trying to kill each other, I swear and I clapped my hands so that both
flew off, overturning a 1l. pot of Euphorbia as they went. Those critters
are vicious and we have a lot of them!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)