Old 28-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default grubs

The message
from "Sue da Nimm" . contains these words:

Educate me if you will. How do you tell the sexes apart in robins. I'm
assuming both have the red breast.

TIA

Steve

An asssumption based on their behaviour. They nest in an old miniiature milk
churn which is embedded in a holly hedge in front of the copse. (It's also
just two metres from the compost heaps!) The mottled white Robin tended to
do all the "grubbing about" when they were hatching off last year and was
seen to feed its partner. So we guessed it was the male. Could easily be
wrong in this era of equal opportunity for the sexes!

My bird book says the adults are alike, though amounts of red can vary
between individuals, so no help there.

However, it does say that the female sits on the eggs and is fed by the
male, so your guess seems to be correct.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/