Old 29-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Andrew G

Default Bolen ride on info needed & others

"RafD" wrote in message
Just got my first ride on mower yesterday, took me 5 years to afford one
(used). It's an oldie, Bolens 2136, rear engine with a B&S 11hp IC motor,
twin cutters type. I would have preferred a more mini tractor style but I
couldn't afford them. But that's another story. I'm on just over an acre

on
the mid-north coast (NSW) and I'm the only mug in the estate who was still
pushing a mower...till now!

Before I start asking questions, the reason I ask them in this newsgroup

is
like many businesses asking shop keepers the same questions usually is
followed by them handing over information attached with an invoice or over
inflated parts prices. So hopefully someone can point me in the right
direction and I can be armed with some information.

I need some information starting with this, are there Bolen crossover

parts
with MTD who apparently took over the Bolens mower company?

I am assuming I need new belts as I when I hit some taller grass the

blades
slow down, then pick up again. The grass doesn't need to be thick either.

So
I guess the belts are too loose to turn the blades.

Do the engine revs die down a lot, then pick up? If so then it may be that
the grass is just too much for it, or the blades may be blunt.
We had a bolens ride on as a temp replacement at work, and when the belts
would slip the revs didn't die too much at all, but a large cloud of smoke
from the burning rubber from slipping belts would come out from the deck,
but then if yours is slipping it may be only for a couple of seconds, then
grab.
Usually if the contact side of the belt is really shiny, hard and smooth the
belt will slip. It may be even possible to get something from the auto parts
store to stop belts slipping. I know they have stuff that stops belts
"squeaking" (and slipping a little) in cars. Cake soap rubbed on the belt
does that too, but I woulldn't suggest this for a ride on in case it gets
wet

Turned off the motor and
I looked for a tensioner, there is one that resembles it but applying
pressure to it didn't take up the slack in the belt. With the blades

engaged
I can easily turn them by hand, that's not right is it? Or have I missed
something eg. the real tensioner.

Not sure bout the blades engaged, but generally take the longest distance of
the belt between 2 pulleys or contact points, go to halfway, then check by
hand how far the belt moves side to side. It shouldn't bet too much more
than 1cm either way. You will find too that loose belts usually come off.
This is only a suggestion though, be careful as belts that are too tight
will kill bearings real quick

The question is, anyone got an idea what the belt specs are for this

model,
eg. belt model number. I'll be chasing one at the local

bearing/engineering
shop that stocks lots of belts, they are always cheaper for crossover

parts
for anything. Need the info just in case they don't have a mower listing.

Can't help you there, but a good mower place should be able to help you
without a listing if the old belt is taken in, along with model number of
mower

I find the Bolens poorly reacts to tighter turns. It tends to slide for a
bit (understeer) when you want to do a U-turn, even at slow speeds and in
low gears. Tyres are good but it seems like the problem is weight
distribution, too much on the rear. Am I right or am I using the wrong
technique or do "they all do that sir"? Have used mini tractor style
ride-ons and they go where they are pointed.

Most 2 wheel drives will do this, and usually it is lack of weight at front,
and the slipperyness of grass, or both.
The bolen we had did the same and also when on a slide slope (forget which
way), the oil must have spilt into combustion chambers and it would pump out
smoke like nothing else from the exhaust. If yours does it, don't worry too
much. Just try avoid it, or if thats not possible, make sure you check oil
levels every use, and keep the spark plug clean every use.

Good luck with it all

Very surprised when I bought an air filter today. I was given 4 prices

from
4 shops, $18, $26, $32 and $40....guess which one I bought. The $18 one of
course! Made in the USA like all the other ones, someones making huge
profits.

I bought this thing with eyes wide open, it looks pretty good for an
approximately 10 year old mower and has done lots of work judging by the
worn front wheel axles. It was cheap and I plan to persevere with it, it's

work in progress but with some help from you lot I may be able to work out
some short comings of owning such a beast.

Thanks for reading this far and hopefully get some positive feedback from
those who know their ride-ons.

Raf