Old 29-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Dr Jack Hammer

Default Slightly different approach to deterring foxes? Get yourself a llama

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:40:21 -0000, Chris Wilson
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I've spent a good part of the morning reading previous threads about fox
control in urban gardens and have concluded that the only reliable deterrent
is a dog. This isn't really an option for us, as we both work long hours.

I'm thinking of suggesting to a neighbour that we leave the gate between our
properties open to allow their dog free access to our garden, but before I
do that I'd appreciate hearing comments from other urglers. What damage
could a Labrador do in a garden? I think the neighbour would be happy to
let her dog into our garden but I wouldn't want to create ill-feeling if
somewhere down the line I decide the dog is doing more damage than the foxes
and the gate should be closed again.

The foxes are a serious problem for us. In one of the earlier threads,
someone suggested that we should be happy to live with nature. I'm sorry,
but this isn't living with nature but living with nature out of balance.
Perhaps the foxes wouldn't be as much of a problem if we also had the odd
wolf loping through the garden.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this.

I doubt an urban "educated" domestic Lab will physically see off a
determined urban fox, but it might deter one from coming in the first
place. As you say you need to balance the damage the dog might do
against whatever the fox IS doing. Is it the noise, upheaval of bins,
droppings, or what? Noise will stop after the mating season, possibly
bins can be put in a fox proof enclosure. Droppings may also be a
problem with next doors dog :-)

Out here in the sticks with a collection of exotic birds we use electric
fencing, fox savvy, but bird friendly guard dogs, and a gun. You would
need to be sure of your gun law before letting rip with a 12 bore in an
urban environment I guess, although my birthplace, Manchester, doesn't
*generally* seem too worried about gun law... VBG

See OUTFOXING THE FOX at
http://tinyurl.com/3ax7e

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.217% richest people in the world.
There are 5,986,950,449 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 13,049,551
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.

Need a fake diploma for fun? contact my collegues Malcolm Ogilvie
or Michael Saunby who both bought one and got one free, only $15 each,
have as many as you like www.fakediplomas.com