Old 01-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Annette

Default Slightly different approach to deterring foxes? Get yourself a llama

Dr Jack Hammer wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:40:21 -0000, Chris Wilson
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I've spent a good part of the morning reading previous threads about fox
control in urban gardens and have concluded that the only reliable deterrent
is a dog. This isn't really an option for us, as we both work long hours.

I'm thinking of suggesting to a neighbour that we leave the gate between our
properties open to allow their dog free access to our garden, but before I
do that I'd appreciate hearing comments from other urglers. What damage
could a Labrador do in a garden? I think the neighbour would be happy to
let her dog into our garden but I wouldn't want to create ill-feeling if
somewhere down the line I decide the dog is doing more damage than the foxes
and the gate should be closed again.

If the dog is female and pees on your lawn, you're likely to get
yellow patches where the grass may die off....

If the dog saw anything in your garden that needed to be chased (a cat
for example), it would tear through yor borders without a care for any
plants in the way. It may be a digging fan and dig for the fun of it,
regardless of your plants...

if the fox poos in your garden, the dog may roll in the fox poo and
stink to high heaven (dogs like doing this with fox poo) so your
neighbour wouldn't be too chuffed...

We have foxes in the field beyond our garden, but so far as I know
they don't come into the garden...we do have a dog, but she wouldn't
defend her territory aggressively with a fox....she's seen a fox in
the field, but it fled at the sight of her....I think the theory must
be that the fox will retreat at the sight of a dog or wouldn't even go
into an area that smelled actively of dog...so maybe a quick waltz
every day or two round your garden would be enough to leave a scent to
put the fox off???

Have you tried Renardine?

Annette