Old 03-03-2004, 11:42 AM
bannor

Default DIY CO2 system question

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:08:55 GMT, "Ken Pinard"
wrote:
snip
So now the question: I know that the yesat solution will get Alcohol in it
before it dies. Since I used a large container, can the alcohol get into the
tank to posion (inhibriate) my fishies? How much of a problem should I watch
for?

I have 25 gal tank with 14 small (1 inch mostly) fish. 4 plants around the
difusser. pH is 6.6, Kh around 5. 0 nitrates, nitrites, ammonia. I do weekly
water changes of 20%.

The fish are a bit agitated this morning. Normally, they get along better.

Ken, I am sorry... I must have missed this post when you first put
this question out there.

The answer to your question is depends: Is the bottle below or above
the tank? If Below, there is no way for the contents of the bottle to
get into the tank unless you knock it over. If the bottle is above
the tank, then yes, there is the possiblity.

I have mine below the tank, and also have them (I have 2), tied so
that they can not be accidentally knocked over by my curious cats.
With a one gallon jug, I doubt that it would easily be knocked over,
so I doubt that you will have that problem.

One thing you can do to help allieviate some of the alcohol is to add
baking soda to your water after you have disolved the sugar. In a one
gallon container, up to around 1/4 cup would be fine. That will
reduce the amount of free alcohol in the mix but will not stop the
conversion to co2 gas. You will still have to change the mixture out
on the same schedule though.