Old 05-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Harry Muscle

Default DIY CO2 system question (Correct calculations)

"Ken Pinard" wrote in message
Ok, now I am getting even more curious,

Do you happen to know the volume of 2 mols of CO2? How about the

volume
of single bubble from a 1/4" (standard) air line?

Yeh, I've gone off the deep end. I was just thinking that I might be
able to guess the length that a solution could survive and how much CO2
would be available for the tank during that time. Basically, the it won't
change the how often I change the bott , ut I started in Chemistry in
college because I found the numbers intriguing.

Thank you again,

Ken Pinard

1 mole of CO2 occupies 22.4 litres of space, so 2 moles would be 44.8
litres. The volume of a bubble with a diam f 1/4" (0.635cm) is 0.134
cm2.

So 44.8 litres is 44800 cm2 divide that by 0.134 cm2 you get 334328.36
bubbles.

Hope that helps, and let me know if I made any mistakes.

Harry

P.S. I double checked my math and it seems alright, but I'm curious if
there's some mistake somewhere, cause that many bubbles, at 1 bubble per
second would only last about 3-4 days. It might have something to do with
the fact that bubbles from 1/4" tubing will be smaller than 1/4".