Old 05-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Garden lighting (cross posted)

"Neil wrote in message

I'm redesigning my back garden at the moment and my thoughts have turned
to lighting. I would like to illuminate the terrace which is just to the
rear of the house, but also I'm considering some path lighting and maybe
some accent lighting to highlight specimen trees, planting groups etc.
This would mainly be for use during the summer but occasionally we would
switch the lights on at other times, for effect.

I live in a rural village so I'm conscious of light pollution and don't
really want to brighten the night sky which could affect other locals.

I'll discuss my plans with my neighbours before I go ahead but I have a
number of questions initially:-

What is best practice regarding this kind of lighting?

Mains voltage, low voltage or a mixture?

Is this a daft idea and I should forget about it?

We have had low voltage garden lighting on automatic control for years. You
can install a low voltage system yourself easily but to use mains voltage
you would need the expertise of an experienced and qualified electrician.
Disadvantages with low voltage (24v) are that you can only put so many
lights on each transformer so for a lot of lights you would need more than
one system or obtain a more power transformer.
Try talking to your local proper electrical supplies co. the sort of place
electricians go to get their stuff. Don't bother with Garden Centres or
Sheds.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars