Old 05-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Edwin Spector

Default Garden lighting (cross posted)

Good questions. Re light pollution avoidance, don't use up-lights on trees and
stuff. Much of the light goes straight into the sky.

Lots of resources available at http://www.dark-skies.org/
Specifically, advice from the The Institution of Lighting Engineers, available
at http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~dbl/cfds/ile-gd-e.htm

Regards

Edwin
Bath.
-------

Neil Jones wrote:
I'm redesigning my back garden at the moment and my thoughts have turned
to lighting. I would like to illuminate the terrace which is just to the
rear of the house, but also I'm considering some path lighting and maybe
some accent lighting to highlight specimen trees, planting groups etc.
This would mainly be for use during the summer but occasionally we would
switch the lights on at other times, for effect.

I live in a rural village so I'm conscious of light pollution and don't
really want to brighten the night sky which could affect other locals.