Old 07-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Sunflower

Default You're invited to my new Yahoo Group, "Fragrant Miniature Roses"

"Dan Gannon" wrote in message
om...
Hello, everyone!

You're invited to my new Yahoo Group, "Fragrant Miniature Roses." The
purpose of the group is identifying, discussing and sharing photos of
the fragrant miniatures.

How many times can you discuss the same dozen roses? Bor-ing.

Miniatures are overwhelmingly scentless, mostly because most breeders have
focused on the same high centered "exhibition" style form that wins shows
and not on growing good garden roses that can fill in around a mailbox and
that are worth bending over to sniff. Ralph Moore and now Paul Barden are
the only exceptions that come to mind in even trying something interesting
and non cookie cutter. If you could come up with a list of even two dozen
that you could smell at all, I'd be very surprised. Don't even get me
started on disease resistance, which is a total joke also.

Give me a good polyantha anyday. If I could only grow a half dozen roses in
my dotage, 3 of them would be the polyanthas Perle d'Or, Clotilde Soupert,
and Marie Daly, which are mannerly pot acceptible constant blooming strong
scented beautiful shrubs. Add Belinda's Dream, Mrs. B.R. Cant and Blush
Noisette as the other 3, and although I might be missing out on some of my
favorite teas and noisettes in yellow, the beautiful shrubs and strong
scents would totally compensate me while I puttered and drooled away.

Sunflower
MS 7b