Old 09-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default You're invited to my new Yahoo Group, "Fragrant Miniature Roses"

Sunflower wrote:

How many times can you discuss the same dozen roses? Bor-ing.

Miniatures are overwhelmingly scentless, mostly because most breeders have
focused on the same high centered "exhibition" style form that wins shows
and not on growing good garden roses that can fill in around a mailbox and
that are worth bending over to sniff. Ralph Moore and now Paul Barden are
the only exceptions that come to mind in even trying something interesting
and non cookie cutter. If you could come up with a list of even two dozen
that you could smell at all, I'd be very surprised. Don't even get me
started on disease resistance, which is a total joke also.

I have four miniatures along my front walkway into my house. All four
are fragrant and I have actually had lees problems with disease with
them than I have had with any on my HT (also all fragrant).

Last year was an extremely miserable year for roses here in cental NC.
At times I thought I should actually be trying to make my entire yard a
bog garden and should give up on everything else. However, when my HTs
were dropping leaves from BS, my minis kept on growing and blooming.
Granted, they aren't as fragrant as my Double Delights but then again I
wouldn't expect a rose about 1/8 the size to have the incredible scent
of a DD, for instance.

BTW, Dan, thanks for the invite but I just can't join any mailing lists
at this time. My problem is that I simly do not have the time to be
involved with any more lists than I already am. With newsgroups, I can
drop in and out as I desire and don't quite feel the obligation to
contribute that I do with mailing lists.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu