Old 10-03-2004, 04:19 AM
Janet Baraclough..

Default cloches

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:

So I'm experimenting with something even cheaper - fleece. You can
get enough for a 6' x 3' bed for about 1.50 pounds but it doesn't give
your seedlings much headroom. Anyone suggest a cheap way to left an area
of fleece a foot off the ground?

You could use hazel branches stuck in the ground, arched over and
pinned down.
What I use, is old upright-freezer drawers made of HD plastic-covered
metal mesh. You can either set up a row of them with gaps in between,
and stretch the fleece over the whole thing (wind the fleece edges round
long strips of wood to hold it down). Or, you can staple or sew the
fleece (or polythene) over single drawers as small mobile cloches.

Janet