Old 26-01-2003, 02:08 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Newbie question

I have a couple of Bonsai trees (Zelkova Schneidria) which are starting to
show a white powder-like substance around the lower part of the trunk.

I tried to find out more about this Zelkova "Schneidria." It is from Gwangdong
province and apparently a lot of them have been imported into Europe the past
couple of years. A picture shows a densely leaved specimen very similar to
standard Chinese elm.
The white powder is excess undissolved salts, & the tree will eventually be
harmed. At present, every time you water, pour the water into the soil
generously for several minutes. In the spring, repot in better drained soil.

The tree is indoors, in a mostly unheated room of the house where the
temperature is around 2-8 C.

Not too bad, but it would be better off outdoors.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885