Old 12-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Theo

Default You're invited to my new Yahoo Group, "Fragrant Miniature Roses"

Dave,

I'd like to qualify your statements a bit if I may.
Roses 'generally' don't necessarily dislike indoor
climate control. In fact mine atleast love the lack of
variation and grow and bloom constantly.

What they 'do not' like is cross contamination of indoor
and out door climate. In other words, keeping a rose out on
the porch for 2 months them bringing it in for 3 weeks
is a strict no no. Disease and pests that were under control
out side turn into raging problems in a heart beat inside.
Conversely problems you never saw inside turn into plant killers
out side.

Roses take weeks or months to acclimatize to their micro climate.
Indoors roses have a lower number of interventions possible.
Spraying is not really an option. So keep those indoor roses inside
and prevent contamination and you should be fine.

--
Theo

in KC Z5

Someone else alluded to this, but I think that you really shouldn't
consider roses of any kind as an indoor plant. Sure, one might have
limited success, but roses are really outdoor plants. The biggest
problem isn't light - as you alluded to, lighting can be duplicated.
The problem is that roses don't *generally* like to live in the same
environment that most humans enjoy. They like open air and *generally*
higher daytime temperatures than humans like. They don't particularly
like to have their roots confined and they are easily affected by
spider mites in "placid" air conditions (not to be confused with "air
conditioning"). I suspect that they are genetically programmed to
respond to the normal differences between day and night temperatures
as well.