Old 13-03-2004, 02:39 AM
Dan Gannon

Default You're invited to my new Yahoo Group, "Fragrant Miniature Roses"

dave weil wrote in message . ..
I know many have said it's difficult to impossible to keep them
indoors, but so far, I've had nothing but success with it.

How do you prevent the various fungus infections without using
some awful fungicide that is meant to be used outdoors?

I'd also have to ask how long this success has been achieved.

I know I answered this earlier, but it was 3 years. (A single
specimen, my first miniature rose.)

I have a hard time envisioning a long life for a miniature rose
indoors in a typical apartment without a *serious* array of apparati.
And that's hardly: "How else can one easily keep a
rose - which *smells* like a rose should - as a houseplant, or keep
quite a few of them on a porch or patio"?

It was just potted in a typical 8" pot, and kept in a large,
South-facing windowsill. I carefully avoided over-watering, tried to
water again before the foliage wilted at all from dehydration, and we
sometimes opened the windows during warm days, and sometimes put the
plant outdoors, for up to a few days at a time.

I'm skeptical about the "easy" claim regarding keeping miniatures in
"an apartment or condo". I can certainly see keeping them on a porch
or patio, but inside?

Well, it was easy for me, under those conditions. Now I have a new
bunch of miniature roses, and I'm trying to see if I can replicate
that success. I don't have a South-facing window now, so I'm using
fluorescent shop lights, suspended about 5 inches above the foliage.
I'll see how long they do well without placing them outside for sun
and fresh air (hopefully, indefinitely, but I'm willing to place them
outside if necessary, even permanently.)

Hell, orchids are a lot easier and they still need a lot of help in
most homes (lights, pebble trays, humidifiers, fans, etc.). We aren't
talking about pothos after all...

I'll see if that kind of equipment proves to be necessary. I think a
fan would help control fungus, but I don't think I'll need to use a
pebble tray or humidifier. The plants seem very capable of hydrating
themselves adequately, through their root systems, with the prevailing
humidity in my apartment (which averages about 70%.) I do have some
aquariums which tend to humidify the apartment, and I have a
dehumidifier in my "fish room," to keep the humidity from rising above
70%. Since most people don't have that setup, I'll also be
experimenting in family and friends' residences, if they'll allow me.
I don't think it will be difficult to persuade them, after they see
and smell the roses.

Now bringing a potted mini in for a night or two to act as a
centerpiece on a table I can see...

I imagine that would work well.

Dan