Old 14-03-2004, 11:30 PM
stan the man

Default The Breedersons revisited

how do you keep up soil nutrients?
Stan
"Geodyne" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:42:00 GMT, "Homefinders"
wrote:

"Geodyne" wrote in message
news
On 09 Mar 2004 21:57:37 GMT, acon (Sirius631) wrote:

I'm going to experiment and see just how unneccessary direct sunlight is

for
veggies in my climate.

I can remember many years ago being told by a Permie that Australia has

too
much sunlight and that most plants would be better off grown in some

shade.
I have certainly found that any plants I have are much much happier under
green shadecloth.

That's been my experience over the years as well, especially in
summer. The most successful veggie garden I ever had was in partial
shade from a eucalypt throughout the hottest parts of the day. The sun
is just too hot in summer for the roots to keep up.

I'm going to put this garden against the fenceline so it's out from
under the eaves. I'll have a narrow path under the eaves between the
garden and the house. This way it will get the rain when it falls, and
there is no danger to the house from termites (and to the garden from
the pest controller). This approach is also going to lend itself
naturally to intensive "square foot" gardening, which is something I
have also had a lot of success with. I'll have two vertical tiers to
maximise the usage of space: a vine with a smaller ground-hugging
plant.

Geodyne