Old 16-03-2004, 12:47 AM
RedForeman ©®

Default Java Fern was Java Sword

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
"san" wrote in message
Thanks for giving me a heads up on the care.

The two that I currently have I have planted straight in my
substraight. Has anybody else ever grown them there? or should I
move them up onto my bogwood? The one plant is in a small 5.5 gal
tank, can they be mounted on a small one inch diameter stone? I
really don't want any large pieces in my 5.5 tank. It houses one
mean paradisefish and he likes having all the plants to manouver
through while he hunts baby snails.

Anyone know where there is a good website that tells how to
propegate aquarium plants?

I've only grown java fern for several months, well, almost a year,
and it's very versital as far as where you put it... as long as
you're not putting it's major vein in a bind or pinch, it'll grow
and attach to anything, even the substrate if it's porous... Smooth
gravel won't allow it to attach to with it's brown runners. I did
put a piece in front of a piece of driftwood, and 4 weeks later, it
was attached and growing up length of it, and is now affixed and
won't come off... As Rick mentioned, you should bury it in the
substrate past the leaves shoots, that'll for sure make the major
vein rot and or die off..

I wanted to try and use it as a low light plant and it's thriving
well, in 9 months, it's more than doubled in size, enough that I've
now moved it around to 4 different tanks...

How tall has yours grown? Out of the plants I have purchased this is
my favorite for it's dark green coloring.

San

They are in a low light tank, 1.5WPG, and have reached nearly 10" at the
highest point, but this is a 10g tank, no CO2, so I'm sure if given a 29g
with CO2, they'll become broader and taller too.... I'm moving some over to
my 29g to see what they can do....

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!!