Old 16-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Jock

Default How do I Remove Possums

"Rod Out back" wrote in message

| "Jock" wrote in message
|
| "Ken Oaf" wrote in message
| | On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:33:18 +0800, "M. Atta" wrote:
| |
| | Send a ferret up there...problem solved
| | Not sure where can borrow one from however......
| |
| | A brushtail possum would do a ferret.
| |
| |
| I have to agree. They have significant claws and the most impressive
| array
| of teeth I have seen so close up - well, but for the M.I.L. .
Definitely
| better covered in fur too. By the time the ferret got through the fur,
| the
| Possum would have shredded it's stinking backside.
| Jock
|
| It amuses me that the cute, cuddly, possum on the shelf in the corner of
the
| back shed suddenly becomes a hissing multiclawed beast with big bitey
teeth
| the minute you think you might grab him to have a look. It is only at this
| point people realise how many claws they have, and how nasty those claws
| are.
| Years ago we were in the stock-feed storage room of a neighbour. He used
| keep a number of cats around to keep mouse numbers down. This day we were
| checking out the new apprentice (kitten) mouser, who was pretty excited
| about his new job. Knowing a mother possum & infant lived on some old
doors
| up in the rafters of the shed, we hoisted the apprentice mouser up onto
the
| far end of the doors. Little kitten looks around with much interest, and
| suddenly sets sight of the largest, angriest mouse with the largest claws
he
| has ever seen! Instant puffball from the kitten, and you could see his
| brain crunching the numbers, and deciding he might be in for a short life
| this time around. Suddenly, all his interest was in finding a quick exit
| down right away. Pressing business elsewhere.
|
| We bought him back down to ground level before Mrs Possum ate him for
lunch.
| It took the kitten about half an hour to calm down, and he kept looking
back
| up where he had seen the mouse from hell and hissing...We probably gave
him
| nightmares for the rest of his life.
| My few experiences with handling possums make me damn certain I will leave
| such folly to someone with far less experience about bitey things....or a
| lot better handling equipment.
|
| Cheers,
|
| Rod.......Out Back

LOL.
I had the same with a possum here I had excluded from the roof. It was
daylight & it was in the deep gutter hiding for the day. I went up the
ladder with gloves on to remove it from the gutter. As I held it's tail in
1 glove and started to pull it back, it turned over onto it's back and gave
me a little reminder of how many things it had to shred, bite and maim me
with.
I let go and left it to the gutter. 'OK, enjoy the gutter!!!''
Serious respect.
Jock