Old 16-03-2004, 07:02 PM
James

Default Locusts

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
m...
"Sandy" wrote in message

Ha Ha! But aren't they dangerous? S

Not to people. Cicadas neither sting nor bite. The only damage they
do results when the females pierce twigs on trees with their long,
sharp ovipositors. The damage is serious only for very small trees.

That's the problem. It doesn't hurt large trees but they don't have to very
small to have damage. I lost 3 peach trees last time out. They were not
small but they were not large either. I have small apple trees out now that
I'm afraid will bite the dust as well as a few ornamentals. The larger trees
end up with unsightly scars but they eventually go away. We''re talking a
lot of cicadas.