Old 17-03-2004, 04:10 AM
Tricia

Default How do I Remove Possums

Rod Out back wrote:
| Tricia,
|| There is a stuff used to stop birds roosting in aircraft hangars
|| called 'Hot Foot', which you smear over the places they roost. It
|| apparently irritates the birds feet, and causes a burning sensation,
|| but isnt supposed to do any serious harm to them. I was wondering
|| how feasible it would be to smear this stuff at the points where the
|| possums enter\exit. Maybe not this exact stuff, but something
|| similar.

I know the stuff we tried it to stop the cockatoos from sitting on our
veranda and chewing the solar heating! Now they were a huge problem! The
stuff never worked and they continued to chew away. I ended up putting
bird netting over the area and that helped a lot. The cockies have
mostly moved on now.

|| Maybe there is a marketting opportunity to produce a 'Hot Foot' for
|| Possums...I wonder how unpleasant they would find it to have
|| something like vaseline mixed with chilli on their feet.

You try it and let us all know! lol

|| Mind you; I dont want to kill the little devils; just get them to
|| sleep elsewhere.

Yeah me too!

|| I have this same challenge looming; I think I am going to have to
|| discourage the possums that have started camping in the attic of our
|| laundry building. I note they are using only one or 2 places to
|| enter, so am thinking of trying some sort of discouragement at these
|| points.
|| I havent even begun to count how many holes they might have to get up
|| there....

One idea I thought might work would be to be a bright light up where
they get in (inside the roof) so that they wouldn't enter because of the
light either in their faces or in the entire area since they only like
dark places. We have a metal roof which is about 30 degree incline and
slippery the possums climb up the ridge capping and enter via the roof
vents up the very top so only have to block the vents now - just have to
get around to doing it!
The possums have never really been too much of a problem until the last
few years now they eat the magnolias and clivias. Although years ago one
chewed a hole through the weatherboards - must have wanted more air! lol
Oh and recently one chewed throught the plasterboard - same reason I
guess!
--
Tricia