Old 17-03-2004, 04:10 AM
M. Atta

Default How do I Remove Possums

my boss baited rats in his roof space.......worked a treat
weeks later a nasty odour could be smelt.....he could not work out where it
came from
Finally found the prob....
the rats had died in the wall cavity.........
I remember Olivier Newton John having a show on the long term effects of
chemicals we use every day.......not real good news...
maybe leave the mortein .......

go for the light in the roof space u can turn on & off & the animal
sounds.......
Making them uncomfortable is the key......

agree

"Rod Out back" wrote in message

"M. Atta" wrote in message
.. .
Ok maybe not a good idea...
What about a couple of cans of Mortein Bomb up there which you use to
fumigate small rooms/sheds
The gas might send them packing as smoke from a bush fire would.

2 reasons I dont like this idea:

1) The idea of using chemicals when they arent necessarry will get you

into
problems in the future. They may also kill the possum in a section of the
roof that cannot be accessed without opening the roof. Some buildings have
cavity brick, and animals can actually die down in the wall.

2) You are using a chemical that has a stong residual effect in the space
above where you live. Any cracks or gaps in the ceiling allows that
dust\smoke to filter down into the living areas of the house. Not good if
it isnt necessary.

However, along these lines, it may be worth investigating if there are any
non-dangerous things that you could put in the roof that would incite them
to leave(as suggested in a later post with the moth balls). I dont think I
would use napthalene, but arent there naturally occurring moth repellants?
I thought cedar balls were moth repellant. Maybe they'd have an adverse
effect on the new inhabitants. Maybe something else than smells bad to

them,
but doesnt hurt anything else.

Ultimately, the name of the game is to make them realise that life would

be
better living elsewhere, rather than leaving a biohazard zone in your

roof.

My thoughts alone.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back