Old 18-03-2004, 05:10 PM
FarmerDill

Default Sweet potato starting

I want to plant a few sweet potato plants this year. I understand
that I have to start them from shoots. How far in advance do I have
to start with the sweet potato to get the shoots? Can I plant cut
sweet potatos instead, as you would plant irish potatos?Thanks for any
input.

The easiest way fro just a few plants is to take a sweet potato, preferably one
that that sprouted and placed the root in down in a jar of water. The potato
needs to be a bout half submerged. Tooth picks can be used to stabilize the
potato. Allow about 4 weeks for the plant to reach transplant size. Placed in a
warm sunny window, sweet potatoes need heat.