Old 21-03-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Crocuses on lawn

we like the little scillas in the lawn the best.
http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview...ategory=Scilla
their leaves spread out so the lawn can be mowed before the leaves are actually done
packing away food for the next spring. also, surprisingly, they can get walked on
while coming up and bloom just fine. I just use a big screwdriver in fall, punch it
down wiggle, pullit out and drop a little bulb down in there. feeding the lawn is
good early, it also feeds the flowers. they really dont need to be very deeply
planted at all. they say to plant 4" to 5" deep but I am sure mine are more like
2-3" deep and do fine. Ingrid

"Shelley" wrote:

Hi there. While out walking yesterday my husband and I passed by a lawn
that was full of crocus flowers and we just loved it. I was just wondering.
Are there any downfalls to planting these little bulbs in your lawn? Do
they spread like the dickens and we'd eventually have only crocuses? It
just looked so nice and so colorful for the brown-lawn time of year so I had
to ask. Also, if we decide to plant these little bulbs next fall so that we
can have a lawn like this, how deep do you plant them? I visited a number
of websites but nobody said how deep to put the bulbs. Thanks for your
help!

Shelley

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/