Old 22-03-2004, 12:48 AM
Doug

Default Barley Straw Extract for Green Water Algae ?

I've tried it, and did not have any success.
The only thing that worked for me in my
tank (75G, freshwater) was getting a diatom
filter (the vortex V-1), and it cleared it in
under 2 hours. The green water was so thick,
you couldn't even see 1/3 of the distance through
the short length of the tank (ie: visibility about 5").
I only have had to repeat the process once since
then, due to a slight recurrence a month later, and
since then I have been green-water-free for
over 6 months now.

Doug

"Shawn P. Good" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience treating "green water algae" infestations with
barley straw extract ? What were your conclusions ? Did it work or not
work ?

Also, does it actually *kill* the algae ? Or does it just clarify the

water
in some other way ? I have a 55gal tank and the bottle I was looking at
online at www.thatfishplace.com says it treats 2,500gals. So that's

making
me think now that I have the infestation, I'll have to treat it forever

and
ever.

If barley straw extract ISN'T the best way to deal with green water algae,
what is ?

Thanks - Shawn