Old 22-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Robert Flory

Default Barley Straw Extract for Green Water Algae ?

"NetMax" wrote in message

"Shawn P. Good" wrote in message

SNIP...

If barley straw extract ISN'T the best way to deal with green water

algae,
what is ?

Thanks - Shawn

I've tried barley pellets, but the results were inconclusive. P-Clear is
a new flocculent from Hagen (and B-Clear is their biological version),
and I recently had a customer come in just to tell me how well it worked
to clear his algae bloom. Put some fine (disposable) floss in the filter
whenever you use a flocculent (so you can trap and throw the algae out
before the flocculent breaks down. I'm not normally a fan of flocculants
(reserving them for when I need a spotless tank before a mother-in-law
visit ;~), but algae blooms can be very frustrating to correct, and there
are very few consistent cures (ie: diatom filter). It may be that this
customer's algae bloom was just about to clear on its own, and it was
just coincidentally that P-clear was being used when it happened, so if
anyone has some experience with this product, please share it with us.

NetMax

I've had good luck with Accurel F and a sponge filter or any other fine
filter. It a black water extract of some sort, I think. Works really well
for a quick fix ... till you solve the underlying problems.

Bob