Old 22-03-2004, 08:12 AM
gregpresley

Default Crocuses on lawn

I have had crocus in my parking strip for the past 4 years. I planted them
by shoving a shovel under the turf, pushing a handful of crocus into place,
then pushing the turf back down. (I placed a mothball with each group to try
to deter squirrels). The first year, the squirrels did their best to yank up
the crocus as soon as they began to bloom, so I ended up having to put
chicken wire over each clump - not very pretty - sort of a crocus
concentration camp. But they have since come back every year. They spread
slowly in the turf, much faster where they do not have to compete against
the roots of grass. They are in mid-bloom right now. I will mow the grass
the first week in May. Usually it's possible to see the crocus leaves
browning or tanning, and that's the clue that it's safe to mow. Other bulbs
that you can consider doing this with are chionodoxa (glory of the snow) and
scilla. I have even put in early tulips in places that I can stand to mow
later.
"Shelley" wrote in message
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. After posting this we did notice
that our lawn has maybe 6 of these flowers in the front. We'll try more
this fall and see how it turns out. I'm looking forward to it! Thanks
again. You've all been incredibly helpful.

Shelley

"H Hornblower" wrote in message
Don't be discouraged. This is really very easy. Put some in
and see what happens. Take a picture so you'll know where to plant if
you decide to add more in fall.