Old 24-03-2004, 09:02 AM
SamB

Default HOT magnum filter media, etc.

Plugging up I 20 minutes means it is really working. Use the bleach to
clean it and then air dry. No moisture= no chlorine. Sure you can use any
filter material you want. Put polyester in the regular charcoal canister-
just make sure there are no easy water paths. Even distribution of material
is key. Also use the sponge sleeve if you have one- if not get one- helps a
lot. Let the GF trim the plants:)
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I'm reclaiming a long neglected 20 gallon tank that is overrun with algae
and "christmas moss." It also has java ferns, and a few sword plants, and
another stem plant whose name I can't remember right now. Hygro
polysperma, I think.

I did a 50% water change, and vacuumed a bunch of nasty crud out of the
tank. I put some goldfish in to root around and keep things stirred up
(also I like goldfish). The tank is looking a lot better already, and I
haven't started pruning the plants yet.

I just bought a HOT Magnum filter and am playing with it now. I stirring
the water really good and everything was green and cloudy. I put the
standard filter in (with no charcoal) and it didn't seem to do anything.

put the micron filter in and it's doing an OK job but it's about clogged

up
already after only 20 minutes.

Can I use polyester batting in the chamber of the regular filter? Or is
there some other way to use batting or sponge for a high capacity filter?
Or should I just use the micron filter and clean it twice a day until
things are under control?

Thanks, and best regards,
Bob