Old 26-03-2004, 06:29 AM
nutso fasst

Default squirrels eating trees?

"paghat" wrote in message
news
Possibly feeding them cheap peanuts or corn will make them lose interest
in tree buds, until broader food resources are available & they stop
harvesting buds.

Whaaa?! These guys are eating my food, and you want me to feed them more?
NUTS to that!

In case the variety of fruits don't give a clue, we're in Southern
California, where we may get a few nights of below-freezing temps a year.
This is not hard times for rodents.

Ten years ago we had so many persimmons I gave away bagsful to a local
church, and sent excess pomegranates to relatives in the midwest. In 2001 we
had none, then managed to salvage a few unripe ones in '02 and '03. The same
is true of all the other fruits, and of planted bulbs as well. While the
squirrels were chewing bark, they were also stripping our orange trees. Just
about any time I went out back there'd be a squirrel chewing out the inside
of an orange. Sometimes a squirrel would be doing this while the orange was
on the tree, other times I would find one with an orange it had nipped off,
slurping away on the ground a few yards away.

I used to see squirrels fighting and chasing each other, but not lately.
They all look pretty chubby to me.

I don't know how many there actually are. I know there have been at least
three romping around in our yard (80 x 300') at one time, but have no idea
whether all the nests are occupied.

As noted in another reply, we used to have many cats around, and the feral
ones were very comfortable in trees. The neighborhood has been changing--our
yard now has many more trees than before and no cats, neighboring properties
are being bought and developed with large homes and landscaped yards.
Everywhere are dogs; cat territories are restricted. My dogs have killed
rats and baby muskrats, but never a squirrel.

Given the amount of bark being stripped, and the fact that the practice has
now gone to an old tree, I definitely think these rodents are either
neurotic or have some unusual excess dietary need (worms?). I think I'll
follow your advice and contact the local animal control before having one
for dinner.

I am much edified about squirrel behavior and thank everyone who responded
to my request for insight.

nf