Old 26-03-2004, 05:57 AM
Doug Bolton

Default orchids toxic to cats?

My 3 cats all like to eat thin leaved orchids. They also like jasmine and coffee
plants (who'd think a cat would want coffee in the morning?). The ones that are
not in my grow room I've grouped together for mutual protection (circle the
wagons) as individual plants offer 360 degrees of attack. I've tried oat grass
and it is a bit of a diversion for them. Problem is it "goes off" after a couple
of weeks and then I have to grow more. What's working really well is a small
sedge (cyperus) that I've made readily available to them and they're quite
happily relentless with it. Fortunately it's a fast growing plant. This has
significantly reduced the damage to the orchids.

Doug

I rather wish Cats WERE allergic to orchids! Our youngest cat likes to eat
mine down to little nubs. The other two just like to lay there and share
window space with them.