Old 26-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Michi Henning

Default Barley Straw Extract for Green Water Algae ?

" wrote in message
om...
"Michi Henning" wrote in message

In general, with algae growth, there is something not quite
in balance in the tank. To me, the best way to address the problem
then is to find out what's not right and address that. If I add
something to an already out-of-balance tank, thereby really
putting it even more out of balance, that seems unlikely to be
remedy for the problem (except maybe as a short-term fix).

One thing that the straw does is provide a good place for rotifers and
supplies some nutrients to the bacterial loop. Several papers have
conflicting reports about it and the assumed active ingredient,
peroxide.

Hmmm... Tom, to paraphrase you, you are essentially saying
that barley straw may help to reduce algae because it adds
nutrients? If I understood that correctly then, I guess that makes
both your and my point :-)

The peroxide thing is interesting though, especially considering
that people have been using peroxide as a spot-treatment for
black brush algae. Do you have any links about this? This
sounds interesting...

BTW -- I have anecdotal evidence that treating a tank with
KMnSO4 works as a remedy for blue-green algae, which
would sort of link in with the peroxide thing. I'm curious now...

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700