Old 26-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Mary A. Smith

Default orchids toxic to cats?

On 26 Mar 2004 07:28:59 -0800, (J. Del Col)
wrote:

(Alison) wrote in message . com...
.
Just curious whether anyone had any experience with their cats &
orchids not getting along.

My dear sweet (almost) 18-year-old Carol really doesn't care about my
orchids (I moved the spider plants & palm to my office, though ... ),
even the "grassy" looking Cyms. She does, however, appreciate the
shade they give her in the summer when they're out on the side steps.
She has arthritis now, so jumping up among the plants isn't a problem,
though she never did any damage when she did. Our friend's 2 Jack
Russell Terrors (not mispelled!), however, are a different story. I
went outside one sunny summer day when we had friends staying with us
to find the 2 cute little monsters happily munching away on my
Brassia's new growth!! I'd been nurturing and watching this tender new
growth for 7 months, and in a matter of minutes it was gone! In
addition to eating the new growth, their sharp little fangs did
considerable damage to the rest of the plant. I don't know how, but I
calmly took the plant from them, gathered up the pot and medium, and
went back inside to tell Don that he might want to put his puppies
back in their pen. A few days later, after everyone had left, I came
home from work to find that my husband made me a cute little "no dogs
allowed" sign for my orchid collection! Don doesn't bring the dogs
anymore when he visits. The plant eventually died. I prefer to blame
that on the dogs...

Mary