Old 28-03-2004, 07:02 AM
John W

Default DIY CO2 system question (Correct calculations)

All the chemistry is good but theCO2 production by the yeast is not a linear
function, but that of a bell shaped curved- slow at first, rapid increase
until a plateau is reached, then at some point a rapid decrease.

The time frame of the curve depends on the organism, media (sugar and other
ingredients) and volume.

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
"Ken Pinard" wrote in message
Ok, now I am getting even more curious,

Do you happen to know the volume of 2 mols of CO2? How about the

volume
of single bubble from a 1/4" (standard) air line?

Yeh, I've gone off the deep end. I was just thinking that I might be
able to guess the length that a solution could survive and how much CO2
would be available for the tank during that time. Basically, the it

won't
change the how often I change the bott , ut I started in Chemistry in
college because I found the numbers intriguing.

Thank you again,

Ken Pinard

1 mole of CO2 occupies 22.4 litres of space, so 2 moles would be 44.8
litres. The volume of a bubble with a diam f 1/4" (0.635cm) is 0.134
cm2.

So 44.8 litres is 44800 cm2 divide that by 0.134 cm2 you get 334328.36
bubbles.

Hope that helps, and let me know if I made any mistakes.

Harry

P.S. I double checked my math and it seems alright, but I'm curious if
there's some mistake somewhere, cause that many bubbles, at 1 bubble per
second would only last about 3-4 days. It might have something to do with
the fact that bubbles from 1/4" tubing will be smaller than 1/4".