Old 28-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Hamp

Default Antique roses at...WalMart?

I bought two potted roses from Wally World last year late at a
discount price (Climbing America and Climbing Joseph's Coat), both
did real well. I bought one of the "frowned upon bare root in saw
dust and plastic bag" (Sally Holmes) mid March this year. It was "own
root". I live in zone 7/8 and ammended my clayish soil as usual with
compost and organic matter, planted, mulched , fertilized with timed
released fertilizer, and watered. It has really taken off and has
buds.
Haven't seen any of the potted own root roses yet here in Mississippi.
Hamp

Darren Garrison wrote in message . ..
Bought some two-gallon roses at Wal-Mart today, myself. I know that it is a big no-no to buy the
hacked-root, packed in sawdust ones but should these be okay, even though they are from Wal-Mart?
Last week I bought a "Livin' Easy" two-gallon from there for $12.97 (from Weeks) and the ones I
bought today ranged from $5.97 to $7.88. I bought:

Tropicana
Gold Glow
Chrystler Imperial
Eureka

And one yellow and orange called "Novelty" that appears to be a description rather than the name of
the plant.

Any reason I should expect these sizable, apparently healthy plants to NOT do better than the ones I
have on order from a nursery for 2-3 times the price?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:10:44 -0500, "Mark. Gooley" wrote:

Yep. Old Blush, St. David's, Blush Noisette, Mutabilis,
and a few others, apparently on their own roots, for about
$7 each at a WalMart StuporCenter in north Florida, fairly
good size in 2-ish gallon pots. First they sell some own-root
bare-root bushes, roots packed in wood waste in those
nasty little plastic-wrapped cylinders, earlier in the year,
and now this.

Yeah, I bought a couple that I don't already have. Mixed
emotions he it's good to see fine old varieties offered
in the mass market, and apparently on their own roots, but
this might do the small rose nurseries more harm than good:
people will expect bigger plants for less money. Compared
with the small but vigorous bushes I have gotten by mail-order
from e.g. The Uncommon Rose and Chamblee's, these are
giants (if a bit bedraggled from shipping and WalMart
handling) -- and that's the problem.

Mark., should have spotted the trend coming