Old 29-03-2004, 03:42 AM
mg

Default orchids toxic to cats?

Too bad my Maxillaria Tenufolia wasn't toxic to cats, my wife's cat
chomped it down to a nub. Hardy little thing though, basically has
recovered in a year.

Alison wrote:
Are there any cat lovers here? I know some plants are toxic to cats,
but was wondering about orchids. Is it possible that the smell of an
orchid could bother a cat? Our foster kitty has some other medical
problems that are making her obnoxious at the moment, but I was
wondering if it's coincidence that she acts so scared to come out of
hiding in the cellar, sneaking up the steps & looking around with big
eyes as if she can smell another cat in the house or something... at
approximately the same time as my brassia reached full bloom & started
putting out its fragrance.
Just curious whether anyone had any experience with their cats &
orchids not getting along.

Alison