Old 30-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Joanna & Mark

Default Looking for a recommendation for replacing shrubs

Hi Mc
I was reading an article this week and it verified exactly what my 90 year
oldgrandmother told me on her visit here to the Carolina's.
(A quote from the article)
"Do not plant shrubs or trees too close to the house, driveway, deck,
sidewalk or any other permanent structure. The reasons are numerous and may
not be obvious for years."

Some of those reasons are things like the roots growing underneath parts of
your house and destroying your floors or the concrete depending on what type
of house you have, but it seems everyone here wants to have things pushed
right up against their house.
If you do replace the bushes, find something that has a minimal root system.
I am an absolute novice about these things, so I am sure there are so many
here that can tell you want types of shrubs or year round plants are like
that.
I am mentioning this because we just purchased our home and had to have the
shrubs removed and damage repaired.... very costly lesson to learn.
Let me know if you find anything I am planting a flower bed for now, but
would like some ideas as well.
Jo

"McQualude" wrote in message
Our house has the standard evergreen shrubs in front. I don't like them,
they look dull & scraggly. My wife is very hesitant to pull them out
because she hates a 'naked house'.

I would like a recommendation on something to replace them that is can be
maintained in a neat looking state, something that will look nice year
round.

We also have a low ground cover that is the same dull, flat green color,
any suggestions on a suitable replacement would be welcome, thank you.
--
McQualude