Old 01-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Joanna & Mark

Default Hummingbirds on their way

I know what I am doing tomorrow!

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
It's time to put up the hummingbird feeders, folks! I'm hearing reports
from various other birdwatchers that Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are being
seen in SC and NC.

As a reminder, you don't need red solution in the feeder. Just 4 parts
water to 1 part sugar will do it. Note: making the solution "sweeter" is
actually bad for the hummingbirds because they do not digest it

efficiently.

Just my personal plug to anyone wishing to buy a new (or first) feeder --
I prefer the Droll Yankee brand of clear feeders with permanently attached
red bee guards. I find the red Perky Pet feeders much harder to clean

(you
can't see inside the plastic part), and the bee guards fall off.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh