Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Pickle

Default fast growing shrub suggestions please

The bottom end of my garden was a wilderness full of brambles, a rowan
tree, some huge old hebes, hawthorn etc.
We have cleared away the brambles and dead stuff and it all looks a
bit bare down there now. We want to keep it as a bit of a screen to
block off where the compost heap is and also provide shelter for birds
etc.
Can anyone suggest some fairly quick growing shrubs that will grow to
a decent size (6' or so) and also grow quite thick and not need too
much maintenance.
If it has bird-friendly berries or something then that would be even
better.
Don't want conifers as I don't like them.
The soil is pretty rich down there owing to loads of leaf mould from
big oak tree and it gets a bit wet in winter, it only gets sun in the
afternoons.
Thanks for any suggestions.