Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Glenna Rose

Default garden police gone wild?

writes:

"All these things?!" How difficult is it to come to a 90-minute
meeting every 3 months?

Gee, maybe people have other things to do like spend time with their kids
after being at work 10 hours a day.

It's very often the people *with* children who attend because they want
their community better for their children!

Interestingly enough, it was three childless people who went before
Council representing our neighborhood about the sex offender issue. Many
with children were just too busy, though they did attend the meetings to
decide what would be presented. The point is that, though they were busy
with family, they did take the time and effort to let the Board know how
they felt and the nature of their concerns. (FYI, all of the sex
offenders in the subject house were child molesters and the expressed
concerns to the Board were still minimal compared to our population.
That's truly apathy, especially considering it made the front page of our
local newspaper as well as television news on numerous occasions.)

Tell me something, if there was no group would the neighboorhood fall into
such disarray? Seems liek there are many areas, like the one I live in,
that work and look just fine without people having to have committees to
decide things.

Yup, it's *just fine* if you don't participate. Then one day you find out
an ordinance has been passed that affects the way *you* live and you get
really upset.

These "committees" to which you refer are your neighbors, not some
government entity. They care about your neighborhood, not a centralized
agenda. They matter. Support them or be one or you'll lose some of your
choices.

So those who don't "volunteer" get penalized. Thats quite a scam you guys
got going there. Not only do people have to pay taxes and a mortgage and
work 40+ hours a week and raise a family, but they have to dress in a
bunny
suit. Wow, what a country!

No one says you have to volunteer. But keep your mouth shut if you don't
speak up when the decisions are being made. If you don't pay attention,
you just might wake up one day and find the things you have been doing as
part of your daily life are now not legal. You like to garden in your own
yard? Then you better pay attention.

On the line of gardening, many people on this group put bones and meat
into compost piles and use humanure . . . that is absolutely illegal in
our community. We have very strict laws regarding that.

Four of the proposed ordinances would have severely limited gardening.
Fortunately, there were some of us who listened to what was going on and
spoke up, pointing out the practical aspects of daily life and how the
wording could adversely affect those with vegetable gardens. Even now,
with the changes, some aspects of my garden could be considered in
violation if the absolute letter of the ordinance were enforced but are
things most of us do and think nothing about it.

I bet these are the kind of people that enjoy power and control.

It's clear you have not been involved in a neighborhood association. Most
of them are begging for people to be involved and truly want to know what
everyone wants. It does not carry prestige or glory! We are lucky,
however, to have people say thank you.

Geez, aren't you people happy enough that there's one government? Why do
you have to add another layer of beauracracy onto it?

It's not another layer. Quite the contrary. It's more of a check on
government as well as balancing the "recommendations" of the monied and
powerful. Sadly, this comment of yours demonstrates that you are very
likely one of those who does not care what is going on until it limits
your own habits and then you complain. How truly sad.

No one is twisting your arm to get involved. Most of use who do bother
will say to keep your mouth shut about changes if you don't speak up. If
you don't want to be involved, don't. Also don't criticize those
responsible enough to get involved and have the ability to do so . . . and
make the time to do so. TIme, like money, is spent where you place your
priorities.

Freedom, like any other "muscle," will only stay healthy when it is used.
It does require participation. If we want freedom, we must use it or
demonstrate that we do care if we have it.

Glenna
Off to practice some freedom in her back yard!
(and glad her loganberry plants were not zoned
out of existence!)