Old 06-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Frogleg

Default Re(2): garden police gone wild?

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 10:33:53 -0700, (Glenna Rose)
wrote:

If you have suggestions about participation at neighborhood association
meetings, we are all ears!

Thanks for the crossword puzzle hint. I'm going to suggest that to our
president (who will probably ask me to come up with one!) Wish I had
an idea to exchange. The best-attended meetings are those where
something controversial is to be discussed. I.e., building a
Walgreen's on a vacant corner. So people *do* care about some things.
The problem is figuring out what those are. :-)

I think most of these groups are composed of a few core people who
care about improving the neighborhood and think they *can* make a
difference. The rest attend the socials (the Easter Egg Hunt had
approx. 90 kids plus associated parents) but not the meetings, and
don't volunteer for anything. For neighborhood cleanup day (May 1st),
there's a free continental breakfast, free T-shirts and gloves, and a
free picnic in the park after a morning's work. We'll see how that
turns out.

As for those with too much time on their hands, there are *always*
some of those in any neighborhood. There's one now on the board -- a
district rep (the area is divided into 9 districts) who doesn't like
the way some yards look. I hope the rest will be able to persuade him
that enforcing Codes & Compliance regs isn't the business of the
Association. At least he's out in the open and can be controlled.