Old 06-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Ted Byers

Default Any friends in Chandigarh, India who can tell me about orchid societies and vendors in that area

Hi Don,

Thanks.

I expect to be teaching my niece how to do it. Whether or not I have a
collection when I get back will depend on how well she can follow
instructions (she's 10 going on 30, so she ought to be able to do OK, and
she has not yet killed the African Violet I bought her a year ago), and how
much stress it is for her mother to remind her to attend to them.

I WON'T be asking my mother or sisters to take care of them because they
only house plants they don't kill are made of either plastic or cloth. They
must have the blackest thumbs on the planet!

What part of Simcoe County are you in? I am in Orillia, which probably
isn't all that far from you.

Import to Canada/export from India, I will be in contact with the
Canadian High Commission in India, and try to obtain from them detailed
written instruction on what to do to get everything done correctly, so I can
show the relevant authorities at the time of shipment that I have followed
their instructions to the letter. And, as the SOOS meeting yesterday, I met
a couple of vendors who'd be interested in buying plants if I find something
interesting. In the one case, about all that he mentioned that would be of
interest would be the dends, but there may be a timing issue for him as his
expansion is not planned until next year. But the other was quite excited
as he expects that it will be MUCH easier to find esp. phal and dend species
(preferably line bred) that are hard to find here. And he'd be interested
in just about anything from plants that are still in flask to large specimen
plants, and he has substantial experience importing orchids. With his
expertise and experience in international orchid trade, and my intent to get
detailed instructions from the Canadian High Commission in Chandigarh, I
should be able to avoid problems.

Cheers,

Ted

"Don" wrote in message
All the best with this new adventure. I hope you have started to train

your
sister or someone else how to care for your orchid collection here.
I have wished to import orchids in the past but have never fully

understood
the details. I would hate to have plants die because I had failed to fill
out a form properly.
Keep cool
Don
Simcoe, On